#StackOrStarve [Featured Artist & Interview]: Greggo (@OfficialGreggo)
- How long have you been doing what you’re doing and how did you get started in the first place? I been writing music all my life but started seriously focusing on building a career out of it since 2010. I started off my homies MacBook just recording songs off GarageBand. It lead to an engineer in Los Angeles that heard a demo of mine. He took me in and began helping me put out a mixtape and EP.
2.Describe the vibe and feel for your last project ? My last project was based off criticism and judgement. I named it “Opinions don’t matter” because I wanted to take my own direction in the music field and just be me.
3. Who are the first influences on your music and style? J Cole and Kendrick Lamar are two of my main influences as far as conscious rap but they aren’t the reason for my direction and they don’t reflect me or my style in music.
- In your opinion who is the most influential and successful artist in your genre today and why? Its between Kendrick and J Cole. J Coles album “Forest Hill Drive” was the first Hiphop Album to go platinum in so many years, Kendrick released “To Pimp a Butterfly” and gained album of the year shortly after.
- Which famous song or sound production, ultimately describes what you’d like Greggo’s music productions to sound like? I really can’t answer that question because as an artist I’m open to different sounds. I don’t like putting myself in a box. I don’t have a specific sound.
6. Do you think your music will be mostly enjoyed more for the beats or for the lyrical flow and content? I know for a fact it will be enjoyed for the lyricism, I talk to the people through what I say in my music. Don’t get me wrong, the beats I spit on go crazy too.
- What do you listen for when u pick the production for your overall sound? I listen for 808’s, the bass always always gets me hype!
- If you could choose to work with some of today’s established artists or producers, to move your game to the top, with whom would you like to collaborate? As far as producers it would be Kanye off back! Artist wise it would be J Cole, what he stands for and who he is as an artist pushes me to be a better me.
9.Which emotion more than any other, currently dominates your music? Joy, sadness, anger or passion etc. , and why?I focus on using every possible emotion I can. I feel like that gives my audience more to relate to.
10.What aspect of the music making process excites you most, and what aspect discourages you the most?The creative process of hearing a beat and finding the perfect words for it excites me the most! Especially when I’m finished writing the song! Nothing discourages me because I know I was meant to do this.
11.How involved are you in the recording, producing, mastering, marketing, and other processes needed to make and sell your music, and do you outsource any part of these processes?I am in involved in every aspect of music. I record myself from time to time, I don’t necessarily produce or mix and master but I watch closely and I’m learning to. I’ve always marketed myself, no one can ever sell you better then you!
12. Do you think the advent of internet and all the new technology has helped your music and independent musicians in general, or do you think it just creates a mass of mediocre “copycats” who flood the web, making it difficult to distinguish yourself?I think the Internet has its pros and cons. I feel like it has taken away the authenticity and passion when it comes to Hiphop. As far as difficulty in distinguishing myself, no, there isn’t anyone like me.
13. Being an independent artist, which is the one factor, above all else, that you currently desire most (increased music distribution, better quality production, more media exposure, more club and live performances etc…)?Live performances
14.Which latest songs, videos or mixtapes releases are currently available to your fans and where can they be heard or downloaded? Whats next for Greggo? My latest single “No where” ft. Sennia is on www.soundcloud.com/official_greggoalong with my album “Opinions Don’t Matta” that’s on Datpiff.com I have a few high end music videos on www.youtube.com/5milliontv
2016 is what’s next for me, just straight work and straight passion
- Last but not least, how do the people stay in contact with Greggo? You can stay in contact with me simply by visiting www.greggo5million.comall my social media links are provided on my website